GIZ-AU Office -Communication Specialist Job Opening
Application Deadline: 25 December, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in achieving their objectives in international cooperation in around 120 countries.
Since 2004, GIZ has been a reliable and trusted partner of the African Union (AU) to enhance inclusive growth and sustainable development on the African continent in line with the AU’s Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want. With more than 200 staff, GIZ African Union cooperates with the AU Commission, as well as the AU’s specialised institutions and agencies, such as the Development Agency AUDA-NEPAD, at continental, regional and national level in more than 35 member states. Key areas of engagement include Peacebuilding and Conflict Prevention, Governance and Migration, Sustainable Economic Growth and Employment, as well as Health and Social Development.
Only 38% of the African population has access to electricity, less than 10% is connected to the internet and only 25% of Africa’s road network is paved. To address these deficits, the African Heads of State and Government adopted the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) in January 2012 as the strategic infrastructure framework on the continent. PIDA covers four (4) sectors namely: transport, energy, information and communication technologies (ICT) and transboundary water. The GIZ Programme “Green Infrastructure Corridors for Intra-African Trade”supports the AUC and the AUDA-NEPAD with the promotion of regional infrastructure development by improving the quality of project preparation, enhancing availability of green-finance for projects, developing policies for green infrastructure development in corridors and working with private-sector on digital solutions for infrastructure development. The appointed expert will be seconded to the African Union Commission (AUC) so support the Infrastructure and Energy Department in its communication activities.
Contract Duration: 31/10/2025
Responsibilities and Duties
- Support the implementation of the communication and advocacy Strategy as well as provide inputs into the design, management and implementation of the communication activities which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilise support for the programmes of the African Union in relation to Infrastructure and Energy (IE)
- Communications Planning & Implementation
o Support the implementation of the overall communications and advocacy strategy and to contribute to the development and review of corporate advocacy plans and programmes
o Propose public awareness campaigns aimed at raising awareness about the AUs’ work in the sector and monitor implementation of the campaigns
o Support Head of Communication to conduct communications needs assessments for AUC departments and AU organs / institutions and drive design of overall internal and external communications and outreach targets
o Compile and present regular reports capturing all deliverables and achievements of the AU’s work in the sector
o Provide communication coverage of sectoral events at HQ and on mission
- Content & Editorial Support
o Support the Head of Division in reviewing editorial content prior to final review and publication
o Support the development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials, factsheets, branding material
o Produce written materials for publication and publicity, such as newsletters, annual reports, brochures, leaflets
o Work with AU studio and Web teams as well as the information division to ensure coverage of AU events and ensure records of material are assigned references and digitally archived.
- Digital Marketing
o Contribute information to create awareness on digital platforms and ensure updates of key activities and messages are regularly provided
o Support content development on key mandates and programmes – Website, Social Media. Mobile Platforms
o Work with the media and information division to develop content for digital platforms including webcasts, podcasts, video animations / documentaries as per approved plans
o In collaboration with digital brand officers and web teams manage two-way messaging on social media platforms in relation to sectoral issues and propriety areas for departments, organs and institutions
- Media Engagement and Advocacy
o Identify opportunities for placement of key messages and editorial content on various media channels including digital in relation to the sector and key programmes implemented by the AU
o Support advocacy activities by preparing talking points on key activities and programmes
o Provide editorial content for publications
o Write press releases, note to editors as well as any briefings to be disseminated to the public through the media in relation to programme areas
o Work with media and news division to organise regular media briefings for AU stakeholders about the work of the AU in the IE sectors (press conferences, press releases, interviews of key principles)
o Work with media division to develop database (and engagement strategy) for journalists providing expertise coverage in the sector
- Deliver on the main functions listed above focusing on the Infrastructure (PIDA) and Energy sector supporting the AUC department and the related AU institutions working in this sector e.g. AFREC, etc as well as the AU Development Agency sectoral initiatives
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor or the Director of Information and Communication
Required qualifications, competences, and experience
- University Degree in Marketing Management or International Communications or Journalism,
- At least 5 years of progressively relevant experience at the regional or international level in corporate marketing, public relations or media industry out of which at least three years should be at specialist/expert level
- Professional certification / diploma in marketing or public relations will be an added advantage
- Additional level of academic qualification in Communication, Journalism or related fields will be an advantage.
- Experience developing and implementing communication activities for national government or public sector, regional or international government or non-governmental organisations, multinational organisations, advertising agencies or leading media companies will be a distinct advantage
- A strong demonstrable track record of commercial or public sector editorial and copywriting work including the use of storytelling for campaigns.
- Strong knowledge and experience of content creation for social media and other digital communication.
- Strong knowledge of media landscape
- Knowledge of digital marketing techniques and effective communication on digital platforms including mobile platforms
- Good experience in development of audio-visual content for advertising, promotional material, printed publications and e-content
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU official working languages (French, English, Portuguese, and Arabic) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Communication Specialist #208/2023_Your full name’ in the subject line of your email application.