Global Energy Monitor is seeking a Researcher to work as part of the Oil & Gas team.
Only applicants residing in one of the following countries will be considered for this role:
- South Africa
- Ivory Coast (Cote d’Ivoire)
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have less than a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role.
Position Summary and Duties
- Gathering and vetting data, contributing to shared datasets.
- Assessing the environmental and social impacts of energy projects.
- Creating, formatting, and updating wiki pages on energy projects on the GEM.wiki platform.
- Collaborating with other GEM staff members across different project areas.
- Supporting report development and analyses based on GEM’s data.
- Miscellaneous support for other GEM projects as needed.
- Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.
Education & Experience
Applicants who tailor their resume and cover letter to these requirements will be prioritized.
The following experience and skills are required for this position:
- Fluency in English
- 1-3 years of experience in energy/environmental research and analysis.
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- Basic GIS skills.
- Basic coding skills/experience organizing and analyzing large datasets.
- Background knowledge of/experience with Africa’s energy sector and/or energy and climate change NGO community.
- Demonstrated analytical experience, including experience in summarizing and presenting data.
- Professional-level writing skills.
- Strong research skills, including attention to detail, scrupulous adherence to documented fact, resourcefulness in using online search tools, and basic knowledge of environmental and social impacts of fossil energy production, governmental and business institutional structures, and the global political context of energy.
- Demonstrated facility with computers, software.
- Demonstrated ability to master additional technical skills as needed for data development and analysis.
- Commitment to social and environmental justice.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. Candidates must be currently based in one of the countries listed above. The salary is adjusted by country.
Salary Example: In South Africa, the salary would be $743,340.68 ZAR (may vary slightly depending on the exchange rate at the time of offer).
- Generous benefits are provided but differ slightly based on the country. Candidates should inquire about benefits in their location during the interview process.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume and cover letter.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
Demographic Information/Data: On the next page is a set of voluntary demographic questions. We consider the responses to these questions as “sensitive” information. We will treat any personal information provided in response to these questions as “sensitive” under applicable law in accordance with that applicable law. If you choose to fill them out, the responses will be used (in aggregate only) to help us identify areas for improvement in our process. Your responses, or your choice to not respond, will not be associated with your specific application and will not in any way be used in the hiring decision.
***Please be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***