Location: Remote (Africa based)
Job type: Consultancy/Full time
Closing Date: Jan 2024
Salary: Based on experience and in line with Aflatoun salary grid
Comment: Inclusive of pension, holiday allowance and national insurance contributions
Aflatoun International is a non-profit organization, which offers social, financial & entrepreneurship education to children and young people worldwide, empowering them to make a positive change for a more equitable world. Aflatoun creates high-quality curricula for different age groups, which are contextualized to local needs and circumstances, and are implemented by over 300 partner organizations in more than 100 countries. Aflatoun programmes inspire children to discover their talents and put them to use, to stand up for their rights and those of their communities through active learning and problem solving. They learn how to save, how to budget, and how to set up social and financial enterprises that benefit themselves, their families and their communities. Aflatoun has been recognized globally (Brookings, Harvard, HundrEd, Million Lives Club) for its high-impact, low-cost model, which has shown to be effective in changing behaviors of participants across the globe.
By using a social franchise model, Aflatoun transfers curricular content, monitoring and evaluation tools, and training capacity to partner organisations, helping them enhance their existing expertise and create an efficient learning ecosystem. Aflatoun’s programmes follow an active-learning, participant- centered methodology, which combines social and financial education (SFE) through engaging participants, educators, government institutions and civil society organisations.
The global network of partners is divided into 6 geographic regions, and we are currently looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic Manager for three of those regions, namely Anglophone and Francophone Africa and Middle East & Northern Africa to join us in our mission.
The Regional Manager will deputize for the Director of Programmes and be responsible for Aflatoun programmes in the Africa and the Middle East. He/she will play a key role in coordinating Aflatoun’s team, partners and projects in the respective regions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
Develop programme strategies and plans
- Develop and monitor the implementation of regional strategies and annual work plans to achieve the growth and quality objectives outlined in the 2022-2026 strategy.
- Support the Management and the regional teams with strategies to grow the partner network.
- Produce up-to-date reporting on Aflatoun programmes and projects in the region for the Management and Board.
Team management and collaboration
- Supervise and guide the programme teams in Africa and the Middle East to manage the network of partners and programme activities in the countries of the regions.
- Build the capacity of the regional programme team to deliver quality technical support to partners and to scale up the programme.
- Work closely with the system strengthening and financial inclusion specialists for the integration of Social and Financial Education in the region.
- Manage the Global Board Members in the Region in terms of election, follow-up, and involvement in regional programme activities.
- Work with the MERL department to ensure quality monitoring of programme and project activities in the region.
Partner Management & Advocacy
- Build and maintain partnerships with NGOs, INGOs and Financial Institutions to support the growth of Aflatoun programmes: identify, recruit and engage new and strategic partners in the region.
- Ensure the maintenance of partner details and key communication details in the organization’s relationship management system.
- Organise, participate and present at regional and national events to advocate for Social and Financial Education, including with national bodies for the integration of the programme into the national education curricula.
- Identify strategic regional initiatives and join to represent the organisation and to ensure the dynamic and continuous growth of the partner network.
Programme Development and Resource Mobilisation
- Identify potential funding prospects for new and existing programmes in the region.
- Lead the development of new programme concepts, plans and budgets in collaboration with his/ her regional team and partners, in line with regional strategies and annual plans, for inclusion in funding proposals to donors.
- Coordinate with the communications department to highlight the work of the partners and initiatives and projects implemented in the region (e.g. provide success stories and content for social media channels).
- Work with the Resource Mobilisation team to develop funding proposals and ensure proposals submitted are targeting priorities in the region.
Act as budget holder for a set of assigned donor-funded projects.
Non-technical responsibilities as Aflatoun staff
- Positively contribute to team discussions and the effective running of the organization.
- Cross-departmental collaboration, compliance with organisational policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and tasks, consistent with the skills and expertise, as required in non-routine circumstances.
- Be willing to adapt to different tasks and different cross-organisational tasks, this includes but is not limited to helping deliver Aflatoun events such as the International Conferences and staff retreats.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- At least 5 to 10 years’ experience in managing programmes/ projects/ teams in the areas of education, Life Skills, financial education or entrepreneurship with children and youth.
- Work experience within relevant setting with stakeholders from civil society and authorities in Africa, and ideally Middle East.
- Analytical, critical thinking and strong problem-solving skills
- Academic degree in a related subject (e.g. Masters in international development, Masters in Education, Masters in Child Development).
- Comfortable moderating or managing public engagements (meetings and training)
- Advocacy experience with government bodies at the local, national or regional level.
- Ability to develop proposals and fundraise
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and French. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
- Strong computer skills, including sound knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office applications, and the ability to learn other IT solutions.
- Ability and willingness to travel in the region and internationally.
The position is for a full time consultancy contract. We offer a dynamic and pleasant multicultural working environment. The salary level awarded will depend on relevant work experience and educational background. (Inclusive of pension, holiday allowance, and national insurance contributions).
Due to the nature of Aflatoun’s work with children around the world, specific attention is drawn towards Aflatoun’s Child Protection Policy and its Policy on the Protection of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA). These two policies are required to be signed by new employees and form part of the employment documents related to the employment contract. The applicant commits to zero tolerance towards sexual exploitation and abuse. An additional written test may be required.
How to apply
Please apply online, HERE
no later than 09/01/2024. If you have any specific, questions about the position, please contact: [email protected]