ACLED is recruiting a full-time Social Media Officer to support the implementation of the organization’s social media strategy.
Closing Date: 11 Jan 2024
About the organization:
The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project (ACLED) is a disaggregated data collection, analysis, and crisis mapping project. The ACLED team conducts analysis to describe, explore, and test conflict scenarios, and makes both data and analysis open for free use by the public. ACLED material is regularly used to inform journalism, academic research, and public discourse on conflict, and to support the work of practitioners and policymakers. ACLED is the highest quality and most widely used real-time data and analysis source on political violence and protest around the world.
The ideal candidate will have public relations experience and the communications skills to translate complex conflict data and analysis into digestible, compelling social media content for a range of target audiences and platforms. The ideal candidate will also be enthusiastic about learning new technologies and innovative forms of digital communications within the evolving social media landscape, and a willingness to experiment and optimize approaches based on analytics monitoring.
This position is fully remote and can be done from any location with reliable internet service. Weekly work schedule is flexible (to be determined in agreement with supervisor), with occasional need for on-call weekend support in crisis response situations. For more information, please review the Applicant FAQs. Please submit your salary range for consideration.
Specific roles and responsibilities:
The Social Media Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Social Media: Contribute to the execution of ACLED’s social media strategy by generating content and coordinating post scheduling across the organization’s channels (Twitter/X, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram etc.), including dedicated channels for ACLED’s special projects and conflict observatories;
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Assist in tracking and analyzing social media engagement, reach, and impact for both internal and external reporting;
- Administrative Support: Provide general administrative support to the External Affairs team as needed, as well as ad hoc support to other departments.
Skills and competencies
ACLED is seeking applicants who have the following skills and experience:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Fluency in English (essential);
- Fluency in other languages, especially French, Arabic, and/or Spanish (preferred)
- Experience with content creating for major social media platforms like Twitter/X, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram (essential)
- Ability to work remotely with limited supervision;
- Good judgment and extremely high attention to detail;
- Experience with Mailchimp and/or producing newsletters (preferred);
- Experience with graphic design, publications, and audiovisual production and editing (preferred);
- Experience with data and quantitative research (preferred);
- Enthusiasm for communications, as well as a drive to master new platforms and tools;
- 1-2 years of experience in communications, journalism, or public relations in the non-profit and/or research sector (preferably focused on peacebuilding, conflict, human rights, and/or global affairs)
How to apply
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter detailing qualifications and experience as soon as possible to our career portal.
Further information on the project is available online at acleddata.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interested candidates are advised to apply early.