The Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR) at the University of Amsterdam is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for prospective PhD candidates. We are inviting applications for five fully funded (salaried) PhD positions. We welcome proposals spanning the entire spectrum of social science disciplines, topics, and methods.
Our goal is to assemble a diverse and exceptional cohort of candidates. We aim to recruit candidates with a broad range of epistemologies, disciplines, and backgrounds. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to join the AISSR’s PhD program and embark on their individual research projects under the supervision of AISSR faculty members.
Applications will be assessed according to three criteria:
(1) Quality, significance, and feasibility. We are in search of proposals that hold the potential to deliver groundbreaking insights. Applicants should provide a clear and comprehensive plan for how these insights will be generated.
(2) Fit with the AISSR. The proposals should align well with existing research and expertise within the institute to promote synergy and ensure high-quality supervision.
(3) Diversity, broadly defined. We are looking for candidates with distinct profiles and expertise, perspectives, and backgrounds and the potential to help shape the future of the social sciences.
An interdisciplinary committee, comprising representatives from all four departments within the AISSR, will evaluate the applications.
Who are we looking for
You are an ambitious and talented researcher with a passion for the craft of social science research. You are excited about your research project and have a clear, feasible plan on how to conduct this research. You are committed to contributing to the academic community in different ways, from helping with the organization of activities to participating in interdisciplinary debates. You have excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
If this vacancy appeals to you, but you are uncertain whether you might be the person we are looking for, please do consider applying. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified candidates and specifically from people from backgrounds underrepresented at the AISSR.
Applicants must have a master’s degree or equivalent within the social sciences by September 1st 2024.
What can we offer you
We offer a temporary employment contract of 38 hours per week for a maximum term of four years. The initial employment is for one year and the preferred starting date is September 1, 2024. Following a positive assessment, this term will be extended by a maximum of three years, which should result in the conferral of a doctorate. You will attend courses offered by the AISSR and the Graduate School of Social Sciences as part of the PhD program. In addition to doing research, publicizing your findings, and participating in academic events, you will be involved in teaching (roughly 10% of your time).
For this position the University Job Classification profile “Promovendus” applies. Your salary will be €2,770 gross per month in the first year and will increase to €3,539 in the final year, based on full-time employment of 38 hours per week and in keeping with the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities. We additionally offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%. The UvA offers excellent possibilities for further professional development and education.
The AISSR consists of 13 program groups across four departments: sociology, political science, anthropology, and geography, planning and international development studies (GPIO). The AISSR stimulates researchers to develop research programs that push the boundaries of social science. It provides talented social scientists with an inspiring intellectual environment, fosters theoretical and methodological pluralism, and promotes a culture of interdisciplinary and international collaboration.
The AISSR is part of the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences (FMG), which plays a leading role in addressing the major societal challenges faced by the world, the Netherlands, and Amsterdam, now and in the future. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive for a diverse staff and student composition, equal opportunities, and an environment where people feel safe to be different.
The AISSR and FMG, in turn, are part of the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The UvA is the largest university in the Netherlands, with the broadest spectrum of degree programs. It is an intellectual hub with 39,000 students, 6,000 employees and 3,000 doctoral students who are all committed to a culture of inquiring minds. Want to know more about our organisation? Read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact:
- Marleen Rademaker, [email protected]
Have you become excited about this opportunity? Then we look forward to receiving your application by March 17, 2024. You may apply online by using the link below.
Applications in one bundled .pdf should include:
- An application letter (no more than 1 page) describing your motivation. This letter should explain why you aspire and are capable to do the research project. It should also elucidate your current profile and outline your plans for cultivating a unique profile that will—over time—enable you to contribute to make a distinctive contribution to the social sciences.
- Your Curriculum Vitae (no more than 2 pages)
- Your research proposal, using this template
- At least one writing sample of no longer than 25 pages. If you want to include a longer text (such as a master’s thesis), please provide an excerpt.
- A list of six potential supervisors at the AISSR. Please only mention staff members who are assistant professor, associate professor or full professor. You do not need to contact potential supervisors. Please find an overview of the AISSR program groups here; each program group includes a list of staff members.
The committee will not provide individual feedback to applicants.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. The first round of interviews will be held in week 17 of 2024.