Reporting To: Learning Manager
Duration: 12 months, (with possibility of renewal), receiving a monthly stipend.
Starting Date: January 2024
Application Closing Date: 5 Jan 2024
NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response) is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships. NEAR is a membership-based organization with members coming from four regions: Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East.
NEAR is currently hosted by Adeso, an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. Adeso and NEAR both aspire to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: Influencing policy change and enacting systemic change through innovative solutions led by local and national actors.
The Communications Intern plays an important role in amplifying NEAR’s evidence-based and human-design approach by curating and crafting compelling narratives that highlight the experiences, lessons and achievements of NEAR members in the field of localization. By adeptly combining strong writing skills with a keen eye for visual storytelling, the intern contributes to making our communication materials more resonant and impactful for both internal stakeholders and external donors. This position serves as a conduit for translating the essence of NEAR’s mission into engaging narratives and visuals, fostering a deeper connection with our diverse audience and advancing our commitment to building open, inclusive, and sustainable economies worldwide.
- Collaborate with NEAR members to gather impactful stories from the field, focusing on lessons learned and achievements related to localization.
- Write compelling and concise narratives in English that effectively communicate the experiences of NEAR members.
- Translate concepts and information into visually appealing materials to enhance communication effectiveness.
- Develop simple and engaging visuals to accompany written content for both internal and external audiences.
- Assist the NEAR Learning Team in the organization and coordination of multiple online events.
- Contribute to the development of event communication materials and ensure their alignment with NEAR’s messaging.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrate strong writing skills by submitting/creating sample stories or communications during the application process.
- Showcase visual skills by providing examples of previous work or completing a practical test to illustrate the ability to translate concepts into simple visuals.
- Express a strong interest in NEAR’s vision and mission, showcasing a clear understanding of the organization’s goals and values.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to write succinctly, clearly, and compellingly in English.
- Visual skills to effectively translate concepts into simple and engaging visuals.
- University Undergraduate degree in Communications, is strongly preferred (or equivalent)
- No or minimal prior professional experience required, but a strong interest in NEAR’s vision and the communication role is essential.
- This is a remote position with a preference for candidates from the Global South (Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East).
How to apply
We welcome applications from recently graduated young professionals who are passionate about localization and eager to contribute to a meaningful cause. Candidates from the Global South are also highly encouraged to apply.
NEAR.org is at the forefront of the localization movement, recognized as one of the largest, most credible, and influential platforms driving global change in this area. Joining NEAR means becoming an integral part of a movement that is reshaping the way communities engage with open, inclusive, and sustainable economies.
- All applications should be sent to [email protected] by 5 January 2024, with “Communications Intern” on the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants will be competitively evaluated through the following methods: Submit a) their CV, b) a cover letter expressing their interest and alignment with position requirements and with NEAR’s vision, c) samples of their writing and visual work. Writing samples could include blog posts, articles, or other relevant pieces, showcasing ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and compellingly in English. Visualization samples could include graphics, infographics, or design elements,
Selection Process: Applicants will be evaluated through the following methods:
- Pre-selection: Based on the application (CV, cover letter and writing/visual samples), highlighting reported qualifications and motivation.
- Integrated written/visual skills task: Pre-selected candidates will be called to participate in an online exercise to help screen most qualified candidates. The exercise will likely require the applicant to write a short communication piece with visual elements, designed to simulate real-world scenarios encountered in the role.
- Interview: Final candidates, with the highest skill task scores, will be called for an interview. At this stage the applicant will be given the opportunity to discuss their thought process behind their submitted materials, allowing us to understand their decision-making, creativity, and alignment with NEAR’s communication goals.
Embark on a journey where your passion for localization meets a unique opportunity to be deeply engaged in an important mission, at the center of global system change. Join NEAR, where your contributions matter in building a more open, inclusive, and sustainable world.
All applicants must meet the minimum requirements described above. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.