Each year, hundreds of professional journalists from around the world apply for 10 WPI fellowship slots. The chosen finalists represent some of the best journalists in their respective countries. They are innately curious, intelligent and ambitious, and approach journalism with a deep sense of dedication and responsibility.
World Press Institute Fellowship Program 2024 Application Deadline: February 15, 2024.
Becoming a WPI Fellow is a competitive process. Each year hundreds of talented journalists apply for 10 fellowship slots. A selection committee of seasoned journalists and corporate communications specialists, all with international experience, chooses among the best of the best.
- At least five years of full-time employment in print, broadcast or online journalism, including:
- News or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio, television, websites or online publications.
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists and broadcast producers.
- Those who supervise journalists are eligible if they also have at least five years as a working journalist.
- Any journalism-related work completed as a university student does not count toward experience. Those who work in public relations or at organizations whose primary business is not the media are not eligible.
- Must be currently employed as a non-U.S. journalist working outside of the United States.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English.
- Potential for leadership.
WPI pays the following program expenses:
- Roundtrip airfare to the United States.
- Travel within the United States related to the WPI program.
- Fellows receive a modest daily allowance to purchase food.
Fellows are responsible for personal expenses, such as phone, camera, postage and clothing.
WPI Fellows are required to adhere to the following terms. Violations of these terms could result in termination from the program.
- Prepare for and participate in all briefings and WPI scheduled events.
- Stay through the entirety of program and return to home countries when the program ends.
- Write for the WPI website among other outlets as assigned. Fellows are also encouraged to share with their readers, listeners or viewers back home.
- Participate in periodic reviews and evaluations, including several roundtable discussions to share insights into the U.S. or international journalism issues.
- Acceptance for others of different cultures.
- Willingness to travel – the program locations change frequently, and fellows often live out of suitcases.
- Applications for the 2024 program are now being accepted.
- The Application deadline is February 15, 2024. Selection announcements will be made in early May 2024.
For More Information: