The AWJP is an initiative dedicated to empowering women journalists by providing them with the skills and resources they need to create content that raises awareness of under-reported issues affecting women and makes a business case for sustained gender reporting.
Application Deadline: 08 December 2023
The initiative is supported by the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ).
We are hiring a Head Researcher to work with our team on The Reporting Fellowship for Women Journalists in Francophone Africa project. You will be working with a team of journalists, mentors, and data analysts in Burkina Faso, Senegal and Togo and play a pivotal role in designing the methodology for a research study that aims to contribute to the advancement of greater women representation, as well as increased reportage on gender and under-reported issues in the region.
This position is 100% remote and open to individuals in our project countries (Burkina Faso, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Togo and Uganda).
Provable fluency in both English and French is a requirement for this position.
- Research Design and Planning:
- Develop a detailed research plan and methodology to identify challenges faced by women journalists in Francophone Africa.
- Collaborate with the research team to design survey questionnaires, interview protocols, and focus group discussion guidelines.
- Conduct a thorough literature review to identify existing studies and relevant data on gender issues in the media industry.
- Data Collection:
- Oversee the implementation of the research survey, ensuring adherence to ethical guidelines and data protection protocols.
- Coordinate data collection activities across three countries in Francophone Africa, considering cultural sensitivities and logistical challenges.
- Provide support to the research team and data collectors for consistent and accurate data gathering.
- Data Analysis:
- Supervise the data analysis process, including both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Utilise appropriate statistical tools and qualitative analysis techniques to derive meaningful insights from the data.
- Collaborate with data analysts and researchers to interpret findings and identify key themes related to challenges faced by women journalists.
- Report Preparation and Recommendations:
- Prepare a comprehensive research report that includes an executive summary, methodology, analysis, and conclusions.
- Present clear and evidence-based recommendations to address the identified challenges and promote gender equality in the media sector.
- Ensure the report is well-structured, concise, and suitable for presentation to stakeholders, media, and policymakers.
- Project Management:
- Working with the AWJP team to manage the overall research project, including timelines, resources, and budget allocation.
- Regularly communicate project progress and challenges to the organisation’s management team.
- Ensure that the research is completed within the defined time frame and meets the desired quality standards.
- Collaboration and Networking:
- Engage with relevant stakeholders, media organisations, and women journalist associations to gather insights and establish partnerships.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD or Master’s degree in journalism, communication, or gender studies with a specialisation in data analysis or a related field or at least 4 years of working experience in those fields.
- Proven experience in leading and conducting research studies, preferably in the field of gender and media.
- Strong expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, data analysis, and statistical tools.
- Familiarity with gender issues and challenges faced by women journalists in the context of Francophone Africa.
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to meet deadlines and manage a diverse team of in-country field researchers
- Effective communication and presentation abilities, with fluency in both English and French.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting gender equality and empowering women in the media industry.
- Familiarity with collaborative tools like Slack, Google Workspace, Trello is a plus
How to Apply:
Use this form to apply on or before 08/12/2023
AWJP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we encourage candidates of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, religion, disability status, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity to apply.