About MAMA Network
Mobilizing Activists around Medical Abortion Network (MAMAnetwork.org) is a collaboration of grassroots activists and feminist groups based in Sub-Saharan Africa, seeking to expand access to safe self-managed abortion (SMA).
MAMA is a regional movement working to share evidence-based and stigma- free information about self-managed medication abortion and sexual and reproductive health and rights directly with women at the community level. MAMA membership is currently 74 groups in 24 African countries, with plans to deepen our impact and expand our reach over the next years.
We are feminist activists, trained counsellors and researchers based across the African continent who have a strong focus on supporting self-managed abortion, especially in places where abortion is restricted by laws, stigma, and lack of access. MAMA strategies include (a) Hotlines that provide information (b) Community outreach programs (c) Pharmacy and healthcare provider collaboration (d) Advocacy for decriminalisation of abortion and (e) partnerships with feminist groups around the world to support increased access to abortion pills.
To support the successful implementation of our Strategic Goals and Plan, we are building out our coordination team, our networks, internal systems and capacities to take MAMA Network to greater heights.
About the Role
The MAMA Coordination Team leads the planning, implementation, reporting and improvement of our strategies and various programs and contribute to the building and administration of the movement.
The Communications Coordinator will help us strategically define and amplify MAMA’s brand and voice in the right spaces and networks. This role will ensure our work, beliefs and impact are effectively communicated and that we share progressive and bold content with key audiences and communities, while managing and mitigating risks affiliated to our brand. Success of this role also means that current and potential allies, partners and donors are excited about MAMA and that our membership is fully updated with opportunities and news in our space.
This is a part-time remote-working freelance/consultancy position.
Your Responsibilities will include
Spearhead MAMA Network Brand & Communications Strategy
- Unpack our strategic plan, map our diverse audiences and lead the development of an integrated Communications and Brand Strategy that will effectively amplify our work, mission and messages in alignment with our feminist and activist nature.
- Drive MAMA’s messaging and voice, ensuring we share our beliefs and values in bold, interesting and convincing ways. Lead in defining and executing various visibility and communication strategies and activities.
- In collaboration with Program Coordinators and M&E, create and implement innovative strategies to tell the captivating human stories behind our impact and data.
- Lead our external representation, ensuring we and our work are visible. This includes research and prioritization of relevant events, platforms and channels. Strategize and coordinate all external representation (e.g. attending conferences, hosting side-events, etc). Ensure that MAMA Network is well represented by supporting the representatives to tap the opportunity effectively (e.g. prepare materials, agree on talking points, dry-run presentations, etc).
- Steer the development of brand and communication guidelines. Disseminate and educate on these guidelines, ensuring a uniform and captivating look and feel, and us speaking the same language.
- Oversee and develop our communication tools (our website, social media, newsletters, app, annual report, one pagers, publications, etc)
- Create and implement our social media strategy (calendar, content creation, tracking engagement, feedback management).
- Partner with the Advocacy Coordinator in conceptualizing & building campaigns for MAMA’s participation in key global dates. This includes aligning MAMA’s objectives with the global theme, collecting relevant content from MAMA members and the Coordination team, designing graphics as needed and coordinating implementation, e.g. posting in relevant channels (panels, OpEds, media placement, with partners etc).
- Lead the creation and distribution of our Annual Report. This includes overseeing timelines, collecting and packaging content, copy editing, coordinating with translators and designers as needed.
- Lead the creation and distribution of our external MAMA newsletters, ensuring interested stakeholders are updated about our work and impact. This includes managing timelines, overall design and collecting, packaging and editing content until the newsletter is sent out.
- Lead the creation and distribution of our internal members’ newsletter, keeping members updated with our activities and upcoming opportunities. This includes collecting, packaging and editing content, coordinating translations to French, and sending it out as per timelines.
- Define, manage and monitor risks arising from our MAMA brand.
- Carry out regular media tracking and monitoring on our brand and our key thematic issues. Share key relevant insights with the team to identify relevant actions, mitigations and opportunities for programing.
Engagement with MAMA Network member organizations
- Create and implement creative ideas to drive member engagement and ownership of the MAMA brand.
- Create learning content on Communications for MAMA university, our member’s online learning platform.
- Work with the other Coordinators to enhance and streamline Communication between the coordination team and the network member organizations.
- Collaborate with MAMA members to incorporate them in campaign design and execution.
- Build member capacity speaking about self-managed abortion publicly and to the press using our Public Speaking Toolkit.
- Create a streamlined process for members to submit their stories and updates to the MAMA Coordination team for sharing on our Communications platforms.
Support development and growth of MAMA Network
- Participate in the reviews of the strategic plan.
- Proactively stay abreast with developments in our space to identify opportunities: Platforms or channels for positioning, funding opportunities, activities of key players, events, etc.
- Share ideas, feedback and insights that contribute to growth of the network
Who we are looking for:
- Passionate and deep commitment to MAMA’s mission of building a movement to advocate and bring transformative change in abortion rights and access in Africa
- Excited to support grassroot activists and organizations who have varying realities, stages of growth, cultures, languages, etc.
- Track record in creating and executing effective communications strategies in an activist or rights-based environment in a relevant area such as women, gender, health rights, decriminalization, etc
- Successfully led various organizations in strengthening their brand and external representation successfully. Strong skills in brand management, including reputation and risk management.
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills. You have a track record of telling stories in creative and impactful ways. Proven experience to step into a new organization and adjust your writing style to match the new voice and narrative.
- Experience in executing successful campaigns and initiatives that influence various audiences to take transformative action (e.g. advocacy/policy, influence senior stakeholders).
- You have a great eye for detail and design. Ability to create at least simple graphics and infographics or improve images for publishing using typical design software tools.
- Track record in managing various social media strategies and platforms successfully
- Excellent Coordination Skills: Keeping deliverables moving that require input from various busy parties.
- You have experience driving communications across multiple geographies and cultures.
- Ability to understand and balance priorities in a dual role, where you serve the needs of the overall network and the member organizations.
- High personal effectiveness in remote working and working across timezones.
- Bilingual ability of French and English is highly desired, either Excellent French with strong working proficiency in English, or Excellent English with strong working proficiency in French.
- The role is open for candidates globally who have past relevant experience working in the African continent
Why work with us
- Join our mission to continue saving lives, contributing to autonomy in reproductive health decisions and shifting power away from the formal medical system to women and other pregnant people.
- Be part of a skilled multinational feminist team that values power-sharing and applies a horizontal working model
- We develop and implement cutting edge strategies to put abortion and contraception access and support directly in the hands of those in need
- Collaborate with and support feminist activists across Africa
Other information and How to Apply
The role is part-time with an expected commitment of 15 hours per week. This is a remote-working role. We are flexible regarding the candidate’s location, as long as the candidate is able to accommodate typical working hours for meetings with team and members in the African timezones.
Submit your application by filling the form here
Any questions: [email protected]
Recruitment is carried out in collaboration with edge, our talent partner based in Kenya. All communication regarding this role will come from email addresses in the domain @edgeperformance.co.ke