Apply for the Programme Development Advisor posotion at Wateraid.
Application Closing Date: 4th January 2024
Contract: 12 Months Fixed Term Contract, Full Time
Location: The role can be based in the UK or one of the following WaterAid Country Programmes – Ethiopia, Rwanda, Mozambique, Malawi, Nigeria, Ghana, Pakistan, Nepal, subject to right to work eligibility in the respective countries.
Salary & Benefits
Salaries and benefits for different countries will vary in line with the location of the successful candidate and depending on experience.
See below some example salary ranges:
- UK, Grade 3: 45,579 – 47,858 GBP with benefits
- Rwanda, Grade F: 25,429,265 – 33,520,678 RWF with benefits
- Mozambique, Grade F: 3,397,534 – 4,453,820 MZN with benefits
- Nigeria, Grade F: 13,337,587 – 18,482,841 NGN with benefits
Want to use your skills in project design to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere? Join WaterAid as a Programme Development Advisor to change normal for millions of people so they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty and change their lives for good.
The WaterAid Accountability & Effectiveness team plays a key role in enabling WaterAid to meet our organisational accountabilities and strengthen our effectiveness. As our Programme Development Advisor you will lead, facilitate and support quality project design and set-up processes and strengthen the capacities of Country Programmes and Regional Teams in project and programme design.
About the team:
This position will be based in the Accountability and Effectiveness Team (AET) of the Programme Support Unit (PSU), part of the WaterAid UK International Programmes Department (IPD). IPD operates in over 17 countries with approximately 600 staff in total. PSU is a globally diverse, motivated, and fun group of 27 technical experts, specialists, advisors, and managers, passionate about bringing sustainable WASH access to the world’s poorest and most marginalised people.
PSU exists to coordinate organisational thought leadership on WASH, provide specialist support, guidance, learning, knowledge management, and planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting support across the organisation, particularly to WaterAid country programmes. PSU collaborates with many functions across the organisation including the Policy & Campaigns Department, Fundraising, and Regional Management Teams across South Asia and Africa, as well as with WaterAid partners, to bring sustainable and inclusive WASH to everyone, everywhere.
About the role:
The primary focus of the role is to support Country Programmes and Regional Teams in both project and programme design. The post holder will also support fundraisers during proposal development. This will be both through supporting the development of specific projects, programmes and proposals, and through the capacity building of staff in project and programme design. The post-holder will ensure that project and programme design follows WaterAid’s Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting (PMER) core procedures, will make recommendations for their improvement and will develop and identify key resources to support staff in the project design process.
- Lead, facilitate and support quality project design and set-up processes, focusing particularly on larger, complex or higher risk projects
- Build organisational capacity in project design
- Strengthen and develop organisational tools and guidance to support high quality project design
- Work closely with Country Programme staff during project design processes.
- Work with the PMER Systems Advisor to ensure our management information system is aligned with our Project Design processes and outputs.
- Work with Quality Programme (technical) advisors to identify/develop good practice examples of WASH projects that demonstrate the application of WaterAid’s Quality Programme standards in project design.
- Work with Fundraising and Finance teams to ensure alignment of organisational processes.
- Work with non-UK WaterAid Member country staff (e.g. Canada, Sweden, USA) to support project design.
- Significant proven experience in designing and managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders under rigorous deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability to coach and train others in project design and implementation
- Proven ability to work with technical programme advisors, fundraisers and finance staff in order to develop well-designed, high quality, suitably resourced projects with clearly defined monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Excellent understanding of current challenges in project design in the international development sector and current initiatives to strengthen project design for improved effectiveness.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English and the ability to influence effectively at all levels.
- Strong interpersonal skills and networking skills with the ability to collaborate and build alliances internally and externally.
- Graduate degree or equivalent professional qualification/experience in the WASH sector
- Proven ability to work effectively with diverse cultures and adapt personal style to get the best out of others.
Closing date: Applications will close at 23:59 GMT on 4th January 2024. Availability for interviews is required from week commencing 22nd January 2024.
How to Apply:
To see the full job pack, please click ‘Apply‘.
Please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter into one document in either Word Document or PDF format. Your cover letter should include your location, the right to work eligibility, and provide evidence of:
- Your experience leading, facilitating and supporting the design of complex projects.
- Your experience supporting the set up/inception of complex projects
- Your experience supporting capacity strengthening in project design, including developing and delivering training, tools and guidance.
Pre-employment screening: In order to apply for this post, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in the respective country. All pre-employment checks will be carried out according to the applicable laws in the respective country.