ITU is the leading United Nations agency for information and communication technologies, with the mission to connect the world. To achieve this, ITU manages the radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbits at the international level, works to improve communication infrastructure in the developing world, and establishes global standards that foster seamless interconnection of a vast range of communication systems.
Application deadline (Midnight Geneva Time): 6 December 2023
The General Secretariat directs all the administrative and financial aspects of the Union’s activities, including the implementation of the provisions of the administrative regulations on operational questions, the dissemination of information on telecommunication matters for operational and other purposes, the provision of legal advice to the Bureaux of the Union and the departments of the General Secretariat, logistic support to the Union’s activities including conferences, the coordination of the work of the Union with other international organizations, the dissemination of information to the Member States and Sector Members, press, corporate and individual users of telecommunications and the general public. The General Secretariat is also responsible for the organization of world telecommunication exhibitions and forums.
Within the General Secretariat, the Human Resources Management Department (HRMD) advises the Secretary General on human resources management. It manages ITU’s resources ensuring consistency with ITU strategies, policies, regulations and rules as well as UN Common System policies. It efficiently manages the human capital of the Union; creates a stimulating and supportive work environment and encourages organizational creativity and performance measurement based on results.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Under the supervision of Strategic HR Policy Advisor, the intern will:
- Assist to conduct the necessary research for HR policies and amendments to the Staff Regulations and Rules, drawing on best practices from a range of sources, including the United Nations common system, well as in national public and private sectors, as applicable.
- Assist with the preparation of documents, data and communications linked to HR policies and projects (e.g., policy papers, meeting notes, presentations, communications to staff).
- Inter-act with colleagues in HRMD and other areas of the organization to obtain relevant information and data.
- Provide support with the consultation process, finalization and implementation of the policies and projects.
- Assist with other tasks as needed, including administrative support.
- Excellent analytical, research and drafting skills
- Legal analytical skills would be an advantage
- Strong teamwork and flexibility
- High level of discretion and ability to handle confidential and sensitive material
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and other relevant IT programs/applications
Education: Completed secondary education. Enrolment in a university degree programme, preferably in human resources, law, psychology, business administration, or a related field.
Experience: No work experience required.
Languages: Fluency in oral and written English is a requirement. Very good knowledge of French would be an asset.
Please note that a non-remunerated Internship position at ITU does not carry the same conditions of employment as a Short-term or a Fixed-term position. Mandatory Medical Insurance, travel expenses, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the interns or sponsoring institutions.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit the ITU Careers website. The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview. ITU uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided. Messages originating from a non ITU e-mail account – @itu.int – should be disregarded. ITU does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
For more information about ITU, VISIT HERE