The “Just Mobility in Urban and Rural Areas” Lab is part of a series of Rethinking Transport Labs, focusing on social inclusive mobility across the African continent. This highly interactive workshop will bring together 30 passionate participants from diverse backgrounds to jointly develop comprehensive visions for equitable transport solutions.
Application Deadline: 19 November 2023
Date: 26 February – 1 March 2024
Location: Cape Town, South Africa (tbc)
Time: All-day (UTC+3)
About the Lab
The Rethinking Transport Lab on “Just Mobility in Urban and Rural Areas” is the second in a series organized by GIZ and Agora Verkehrswende. The Lab seeks to foster creativity, innovation, and collaboration among prominent stakeholders from African countries, including representatives from academia, civil society, non-governmental organizations, and think tanks. Together, they will work on strategies to advance just mobility, ensuring access, affordability, and sustainability for all communities.
The Lab aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Identify opportunities and challenges for equitable transport solutions in both urban and rural environments in Africa.
- Develop innovative and inclusive strategies to advance just mobility, ensuring access, affordability, and sustainability for all communities.
- Identify practical and actionable solutions that can be applied in urban and rural areas to enhance mobility while promoting social equity.
- Facilitate knowledge exchange and collaboration among stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of a strong and self-sustaining think tank for sustainable mobility in Africa.
Who can participate?
We encourage applications from African young professionals who share a deep enthusiasm for sustainable mobility and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Citizenship & residence in a country on the African continent.
- Education: university degree in transportation, urban & rural planning, civil & rural engineering, gender and development studies, environmental science, geography, political/social sciences or similar.
- Experience: 2 to 5 years of experience in areas such as transport planning, urban and rural management, gender equality, diversity and inclusion, policy development, social works or similar.
- Language: ability to understand and communicate in English.
- Motivation & collaborative spirit: strong commitment to sustainable transport and reducing carbon emissions, innovative thinking & ability to collaborate effectively in a diverse and multidisciplinary.
Please register your interest for participation, including a short statement of motivation, through our online portal by 19 November 2023 at 11:59 pm UTC. The Lab will provide space for 30 young professionals. Based on the participant criteria, eligible candidates will be contacted in a second step, 1 week after the registration deadline with guidance on the further application process.
To respond to this call, please submit your application and documents through our application portal by 19 November 2023 at 11:59 PM – UTC. The Lab will provide space for 30 young professionals. We aim to inform selected candidates approximately 3 weeks after the registration deadline.
What Do We Offer?
GIZ is pleased to offer a comprehensive and fully-funded program for selected participants, which includes:
- Transportation to and within South Africa.
- Comfortable and convenient accommodation.
- Insurance package.
- Visa fees (participants are responsible for arranging their own visas).
Please note that personal expenses and any additional costs not explicitly mentioned will not be covered by the program.
If you have any further questions or need more information, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. Don’t miss this opportunity to be part of a dynamic and impactful journey towards rethinking and reshaping the future of transport in Africa.
Application Deadline: 19 November 2023 at 11:59 PM – UTC
To know more about Changing Transport, VISIT HERE