Apply for the Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University Postgraduate Scholarships
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is an international joint-venture university founded by Xi’an Jiaotong University in China and the University of Liverpool in the UK. As a Sino-foreign cooperative university, it captures the essence of both parent universities and is the largest of its kind approved by China’s Ministry of Education.
The University offers more than 100 degree programmes in the fields of science, engineering, business, finance, architecture, urban planning, language, and culture. All programmes are taught in English. Upon successful completion of the programme, undergraduate students will earn two degrees – an XJTLU degree from China’s Ministry of Education, and a globally recognized degree from the University of Liverpool. Postgraduate students will receive a degree from the University of Liverpool, which is recognized by China’s Ministry of Education. All departments at XJTLU offer PhD programmes, which fulfils XJTLU’s vision to be a research-led international university in China and a Chinese university recognized internationally for its unique features.
How to Apply
BEFORE YOU APPLY
IDENTIFY YOUR POTENTIAL SUPERVISOR
Identifying a potential supervisor is required before submitting an application.
For students applying for an existing funded project, the principal supervisor will be the owner of the project and you should contact the principal supervisor to discuss the funding opportunity.
For students applying with your own project, either for scholarship or a self-funded studentship, you should always first identify and contact a potential supervisor whose research interest aligns with yours. The potential supervisor list is available on individual programme page.
DETERMINE YOUR RESEARCH AREA AND CHECK ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Detailed information of our doctoral programmes please refer to programme page.
We accept PhD application all year round. The start date of the programme is normally the first day of March, June, September, or December.
To ensure that you will be able to register on your intended date, please submit your application with all the required documentation through the online application system by the deadline outlined below for each entry.
|15 December of the previous year
DEADLINE FOR ACCEPTING APPLICATION FOR POSTGRADUATE RESEARCH SCHOLARSHIPS
- Apply for a scholarship for an existing Funded PhD Project
Funded projects will be open to take application until position is filled.
- Apply for a Scholarship with Your Own Project
There will be two application rounds for each academic year:
- First round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 October will be reviewed in the first round and the decision will be announced in December.
- Second round – applications submitted by 17:00 CST(UTC+8), 15 April will be reviewed in the second round and the decision will be announced in June.
Go to Scholarships to find more information about how to apply for the scholarships.
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENT
XJTLU strives to adopt and adhere to recognised international standards in providing equality of opportunity, and fairness in admissions process and decision-making. We evaluate each application on its individual merits and in comparison with other applications. We do not guarantee to make an offer to all applicants who have met or are predicted to meet the minimum entry requirements.
The minimum entry requirement for Bachelor or Master degree holder is:
- Top 100 of the latest Shanghai Ranking or World-class universities or First-class disciplines (MoE, People’s Republic of China): 75 percent or above (Weighted Average Mark)
- Other universities: 80 – 85 percent or above (Weighted Average Mark), depending on your undergraduate/postgraduate institution
Note: Shanghai Ranking of The Best Chinese Universities is subject to annual update at https://www.shanghairanking.cn/rankings/bcur/2022
- UK first or 2:1 class Bachelor degree with Honours
- Or UK Pass with Merit Master degree
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) for Bachelor or Master degree holder.
- Equivalent to the above UK first or 2:1 class Bachelor degree or Pass with Merit Master degree.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
All students applying to PhD programme must demonstrate that they are competent in the use of the English language and satisfy the University’s requirements.You should normally possess an appropriate IELTS, or equivalent score as listed on University of Liverpool webpage. Please contact the Admissions Team at [email protected] to clarify what this is if you are unsure.
You will qualify for an exemption from the English language requirement if one of the following applies to you:
- You are a national of a majority English-speaking country as defined by UKVI.
- You have completed/are completing a degree in XJTLU or in the following countries or territories (Chinese joint venture programmes are not included): Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; the Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; the British Overseas Territories; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; Malta; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and the Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; UK; USA. Please note this only valid for two years from the date awarded the degree to the start date of the PhD programme.