- Organization: CIEL – Center for International Environmental Law
- Location: Remote | Remote – Based
- Grade: Internship – Internship
- Occupational Groups:
- Legal – Broad
The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL) is a dynamic, nonprofit organization that works at the intersection of human rights and the environment. CIEL is comprised of attorneys, campaigners, researchers, and communicators who have extensive experience in leading international strategies to advance everyone’s right to a healthy environment. Many of our program areas explore innovative developments in international environmental law and human rights, including in their direct link with other international legal fields, such as international investment law or international trade law.
Our legal internship program offers a unique opportunity for law students to develop skills in the field of international environmental law, and using legal strategies to protect human rights and the environment. Learning from and supervised by a diverse staff of experts and attorneys, internships offer insight into innovative developments in international environmental law and human rights, by honing thoughtful and creative research and analysis. Offering this internship is central to CIEL’s mission of developing the next generation of environmental leaders and lawyers through real-world training and practice.
Responsibilities of a legal intern may include researching and writing about areas of domestic and international law, including environmental and human rights law, international investment law, and international trade law and policy; assisting with policy analysis and advocacy; attending meetings and conferences; assisting with the production of CIEL publications, legal opinions and legal briefs; support in the preparation of amicus curiae before international tribunals and otherwise working closely with CIEL staff on various projects. Successful applicants generally possess excellent research and writing skills and a strong dedication to public interest law
A monthly stipend is available for any intern eligible to receive it under the rules applied by their jurisdiction and educational institution. The basic stipend is $2,600 per month for a full-time internship in Washington, DC. For less than full-time internships, the stipend is prorated according to the intern’s approximate level of time commitment to CIEL. Stipends are intended to make the CIEL internship more readily available to aspiring professionals, and are not intended to provide compensation, create a legal or employment relationship between the intern and CIEL, or otherwise modify the legal nature of the internship program.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a course of study leading to a postgraduate law degree (JD, LLM) or similar professional qualification.
- Applicants must be willing to make a ten-week commitment of at least 15 hours/week.
- Applicants must possess some experience with international environmental or human rights law, either through courses or work experience.
- To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (please, no legal memos – see FAQ below for more information).
- Spring 2024 Internship Application Deadline: Positions will be filled on a rolling basis, with an expectation that the process will be completed no later than December, 2023.