The Humboldt Research Fellowship for researchers of all nationalities and research areas: We support you – postdoctoral and experienced researchers – with your research in Germany.
Through the Humboldt Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors researchers with above-average qualifications from across the globe. As a fellow, you will benefit from individual support from the Humboldt Foundation and our diverse sponsorship portfolio.
Looking ahead to the upcoming meetings of the selection committee, we expect that 20 – 25% of the applications received will be approved.
The Humboldt Research Fellowship enables you to conduct your own research at various stages of your career in collaboration with a host at a German research institution of your choice. Hosts may apply for a subsidy towards research costs.
- Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung / Foundation
- 6–24-month research stay in Germany
Benefits of Humboldt Research Fellowship 2023-24 in Germany:
- A monthly fellowship allowance of 2,670 euros will be given
- A lump sum mobility allowance will be provided for participation in necessary conferences, research trips, library stays, etc. these can be in Germany and abroad.
- Medical insurance and liability insurance subsidies will be provided.
- A lump sum amount will be provided for the travel expenses in case the costs are not borne by any third party.
- Language fellowship will be provided for an intensive language course.
- Language fellowships may also be granted to accompanying marital partners.
- Family allowances will be provided for accompanying family members who are staying for at least three months.
- For single parents: a flat-rate allowance for accompanying children under the age of 18 will be provided.
- Europe allowance for a research stay at a research institute in another European country will also be provided.
- a subsidy towards research costs to be paid to the hosts in Germany amounting to 800 EUR per month for research in the natural sciences and engineering and 500 EUR for research in the humanities and social sciences.
Eligibility of the Humboldt Research Fellowship in Germany:
- The candidate must have completed Ph.D., C.Sc., or equivalent not less than four years prior to the date of application.
- Potential applicants of German nationality are eligible to apply provided that their habitual place of work and residence has been located abroad on the assumption of permanence for at least five years.
- The candidates must have a good knowledge of the English language; the knowledge of the German language is a plus point.
- Eligible applicants must have lived outside Germany for a minimum of 12 months in total in the 18-month period prior to submission of the application.
How to apply for Humboldt Research Fellowship 2023-24?
- The candidates have to apply online.
- The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, should be submitted at least four to seven months before the prospective selection date.
- The reference letters or the host confidential statement must be uploaded directly by the author in the applicant’s application form.
- The applicant has to send the link needed to access the application form via e-mail to the designated persons to submit the reference letters or the confidential statement.
Humboldt Fellowship Application Deadline:
- March, July, and November